Sunday, August 15, 2010

Like a Good Neighbor…Even in 100+ Degree Temperatures

I don’t think I ever posted that I changed careers.  In April I went to work for my husband, and I am so thankful for that opportunity.  We really enjoy working together, and it has worked out great for us. 

This summer we have also had the privilege of having two college students work part time in our office, and we have enjoyed them so much! 

One is my lil sis-in-law and the other is her best friend, Carter.  They are good help and they work hard, but you seldom see one without the other.  They also are hilarious and so boss man has nicknamed them dumb and dumber :) 

The two of them worked out for us to have a tent at a new apartment complex’s college move-in day.  IT WAS SOOOOO HOT we nearly melted.


Mario & Brent, our sweet neighbor kid, icing down the drinks…


We starting getting stuff ready around 7:30 because thye told us the first wave of people would be checking in from 8am-10am. 

About 8:30am, one of the poeple with the apartment complex remembered to fill us is in that they had changed check-in time to 12-2pm.  That was nice of them.

So we broke for about three hours and went back to the office to hang out and stay cool and run some other errands.


IMG_4775 IMG_4776

We put some bags together with a few goodies and brochures on auto and renters insurance and gave them out to the students moving in…


Jeryn spent most of the morning in the candy/gum basket opening gum and putting the wrappers back in the basket….


Mario and Carter…

IMG_4793 IMG_4819

When we were back at the office, Brent showed Jaiden how to call from desk to desk and she spent the next three hours calling her daddy to say, “I love you.” 

I thought she looked so sweet sitting at the desk :)

IMG_4801 IMG_4808

Around noon, we made our way back to our “spot” under the tent.  It was ten times hotter and we were all miserable…

IMG_4810 IMG_4816

IMG_4824 IMG_4828  

Bridget had planned on getting in to the State Farm Good “Neighbear” suit…but when the time got changed, I was afraid she would pass out in it at that time of day.  When we got back to the office to unload everything, we had a little fun with the bear head anyway!  Jaiden looked so cute peeking through the eye…

IMG_4836 IMG_4837 IMG_4839

IMG_4842 IMG_4843

Bubby wanted a turn and it was so funny because it swallowed him and he was just being real still in there.  He was walking around really quiet with out saying a word.  We’d say, “Jump Bear!” and he’d take a little hop.  He was so cute!

IMG_4844 IMG_4845

On the way home, Mario treated us to lunch at the Japanese Steakhouse. Jeryn fell asleep on the way home and so I carried him in to the bed.  Jaiden laid down next to him and fell asleep.  I was walking through the house and somehow heard “Ma-ax.”  When I found Max, he was in some serious distress.  It was blazing hot and he had somehow managed to get himself penned underneath the deck where there was only about a foot of room.  His head was twisted back and he couldn’t move it.  His little face was mashed in the dirt.  His body was wedged and I felt so sorry for him but I was also panicking because I couldn’t budge him.   I have also heard that goats get really stressed, and let me tell you, he was STRESSED.    By the time Mario got him unstuck, everyone was back awake.  So much for their afternoon nap.  Max looked sort of rough:

IMG_4849  IMG_4846

This goat has like TRIPLED in size since we got him.  For some reason I was thinking he was full grown when we got him.  Meanwhile he grew up and out, and his horns are really long (and we actually had an inch trimmed off about a month ago because Mario was worried the tip of them would hurt one of the kids because they were pretty sharp.


We headed out to a rodeo that evening, and while Jaiden was running exhibition barrels, Hot Sauce tore out bucking with her!  He hadn’t done that before, it scared me too death, but she managed to ride it all out and was still in the saddle when he stopped.  The crowd was cheering for her and I had part of it on video because the tape was rolling. I shut it off for a few seconds because I was trying to figure out what I needed to do.  Then I saw Mario running into the arena I turned it back on.  When I watched the tape back, there was a lady in the bleachers screaming, “Ride ‘im!  RIDE ‘IM!”  It was sweet because people were rooting for her :)  Then, just as we were leaving the rodeo, two guys got in a fight at the concession stand.  One was rolling around on the ground next to us, the other was griping at the guy that he had pushed down.  These were grown men fussing over a hot dog that didn’t actually get shoved in anyone’s mouth, only pretended to.  Needless to say, our day was not uneventful..  I was ready to just get home and into bed.

The highlight of my night came during the prayer that was said at the beginning of the rodeo.  I peeked over at my son, and this is what I saw:


I love these kids!  That little spot in the upper right is the sliver of moon.

I still can’t believe it’s time for school already.  I spent the better part of this afternoon labeling school supplies and getting everything ready.  We have orientation and open house this week, and then the real deal!


Jacquie said...

What a fun post!! I didn't know that you had changed careers, but that must be so special for you and Mario (I love the picture of you two at the desk)!!

I got a little teary-eyed at the photo of Jeryn during the prayer. Precious!!

Heather said...

I didn't know you had changed careers either!!! That is so cool, though! I think of you every time I drive by Mario's office!!

Watts Family said...

I work with my husband also! It's great!Good luck with the business.
That picture of Jeryn is priceless!!!