Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Allium giganteum (Giant Onion)

IMG_1131

I know it doesn’t make for the most exciting blog topic, but I am sort of excited that I grew these things by complete accident. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even know what they were until my ninth grade neighbor walked by my flower bed and commented on my huge onions.

“Ummm…thank you! I’ve been working really hard to keep those up.”

Not really.

I asked him if he was sure it was an onion. He snapped the leaves and smelled of them. “Definitely an onion,” he said. Any of you experts out there feel free to speak up if you agree or disagree that this is in fact an onion.

Then he asked me if he could pull them up and take them home to show his mom and sister. He asked how I grew them so big. I just watered it like crazy. Piece of cake.

Why can’t keeping the real plants up around this place be that easy?

IMG_1129 IMG_1140

IMG_1137 IMG_1130 IMG_1133 IMG_1132

9 comments:

Becke' said...

cool! Looks like garlic.

We've Got Scents said...

Onions or garlic, not sure! But you most definitely have a GREEN thumb:)
Blessings always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Jeremiah said...

Hey girl,

Just wanted to drop by and say hello and tell you how beautiful your family is. You always were a sweatheart and I am sure you and your husband are raising two fine and amazingly beautiful and handsome individuals who more than their physical beauty will love others the way you always have. Amazing sight to see! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

wow, and you had no idea you had them? crazy! thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. It means so much to me.

Jacquie said...

Dave says, "Yep, onions". He wants me to send you a picture of the big squash he and Charlsie grew. I think he's in competition with you now!

The Garners said...

This is hilarious!

What are you going to make with them!?

Marie said...

Gosh, Looks like a elephant garlic , I had some in the woods beside my home, My mom had to tell me what they were,If they are garlic, will be strong on your hands when you peel them.

Marie said...

oh, forgot to say , the little yellow looking corn things on the bottom are seed

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your beautiful flower. I was just researching this plant when I found your comments. It is commonly called a giant garlic. It full name is Allium gigantium. It is a garlic plant and some of what I have read says it is edible, but double check this. It is a perenial and likes full sun with good drainage. Typically flowers from may to June, but I suspect depending on the zone might extend into June. Hope this helps. God Bless, Kelley